To add your business information to Google Maps, Search, and other Google properties, you’ll need to create a Google My Business listing (or get access to one, if it already exists).
It is one of the most important ways you can manage how your business information appears across Google, including Search and Maps, using Google My Business—for free.
Before You Begin
Before you can create a Google My Business listing, you must have a Google account, a Company name, phone number, and mailing address. The physical mailing address is very important because Google will send your confirmation postcard and code to this address. Entering the code is the final step to creating the account.
If you don’t have a Google Account, please sign up here: https://accounts.google.com/.
If you don’t have a Company name, phone number, or mailing address, wait until you do. Changing any of that information during the setup will only cause problems and confusion and will likely result in you having to submit a new request.
Sign up for Google My Business
Follow these steps to sign up:
- Go to google.com/business and click Start now at the top right corner of the page.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- You’ll see a map of your country with a form at the top left. Enter your business name in the first field.
- As you type, suggestions for possible matches will appear. If you see your business, select it from the suggestions.
- Complete the rest of the fields with your business information, then click Continue.
- You may see a potential matching business suggested to you. If this is your business, click it. If it’s not your business, click Keep the information I entered.
- You’ll see the option to confirm that you’re authorized to manage the business. If you are, check the box, then click Continue. If you aren’t authorized to manage the business, find the person in your organization who is, then continue signing up.
Double-check your business information
No matter what you see, double-check that your business information is correct. It’s crucial that when you verify your business information everything is ready to appear live to customers across Google.
If any of your information is incorrect:
- Click Verify later.
- If you manage more than one location, click Manage location for the location you’d like to edit.
- Click Info at the top of the page.
- Click the section you’d like to change and enter your business information.
- When you’ve finished editing all of your business information, click Done editing at the bottom of the page.
Now that you’ve either claimed or created your listing, it’s time to verify your business. Once you verify, your business information will be eligible to appear across Google.
Enter Your Business Information
In addition to entering your company name, location, phone number and other contact information you will need to choose your business category and write a brief description about your business. You can select up to 5 business categories. Make sure that the description and categories don’t cause confusion since Google may not post your listing if they think you are trying to spam.
Select Service Areas
Choose the areas where you provide your service. The more locations you choose, the more people who are searching from different cities will be able to see your company name.
You also get the option to define whether customers come to you (retail store) or you go to the customers (AC servicing). If you say that you go to the customers, Google lets you hide your office address from clients. While mentioning the area, you can write down a general area such as “30 miles around Springfield” or add the specific cities where you may provide the service or have stores.
Select Hours of Operation
Mention your hours of operation so that customers can know when they can contact you. However, it’s not a mandatory process. If you are not comfortable sharing your work hours or if your company is open 24 hours a day, you may leave the field blank.
Choose Payment Options
Now you need to select how clients can pay for your product or service. You can select credit card, PayPal or Google Checkout payment options.
People trust a company when they see the office/stores’ photos along with the owner and employees. Add images of your office/shop and brand logo.
Attach YouTube Videos
If you have a great ad or testimonial, upload it to YouTube and attach them here. Remember that you can attach only 5 videos, so choose the best ones.
This part is customizable. Here you can specify the other benefits of your company. For example, you can write “street parking only” or “park in designated areas only.”
The Final Step
Once your listing is ready and visit the Verify page, Google will send a postcard in the mail to complete the process. I can take up to 3 weeks to get the postcard.
The postcard will contain a PIN that you will enter on the webpage listed. Once you have done that, your business listing will appear in the search results within a few days.