If your website is not visible when someone comes to visit, it makes for a bad first impression. That’s why uptime monitoring is essential.
You need to know when your website is NOT working so you can take action quickly and reduce the amount of time it is ‘down.’
Uptime Robot is a free service that checks your website every 5 minutes. It asks for your website headers and gets a status code in return.
If the status code says everything is OK, it waits another 5 minutes and checks again.
If the status code says something is amiss, it makes several more checks in the next 30 seconds.
If the status code does not improve, it sends an alert.
To use this free service, follow these instructions:
- Go to https://uptimerobot.com/signUp, enter your information and click the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Check your email for the Uptime Robot – Account Activation email. If you don’t see it, check your spam folder.
- Once you find it, click on the link provided to activate your account. You will be taken to an Account Activation success page which instructs you to login and start monitoring.
- Click on the ‘Login’ link at the top of the page. This will take you to a Login page. Enter your email and password and click the ‘Login’ button.
- Once you login you will see a dashboard. Click on the ‘My Settings’ link at the top of the page. This will take you to the ‘My Settings’ page.
- Check your name and update the timezone if it is not correct. If you make changes, click on the ‘Update’ button to save your changes.
- Scroll down to the ‘Alert Contacts’ section and click on the ‘Add Alert Contact’ button. This will open a ‘New Alert Contact’ window.
- Select which kind of Method you would like from the drop-down menu, enter the information requested and then click the ‘Create Alert Contact’ button to save it.
Add Website Monitor
- To add a website monitor, click on the +Monitor button in the upper left. This will open a ‘New Monitor’ box.
- Select HTTP(s) from the Monitor Type drop-down menu. Type in a name in the ‘Friendly Name’ box. Type in the URL for your website and leave the monitoring interval at ‘every 5 minutes.’
- Check the box in next to the alert contact you just created in the ‘Select Alert Contacts to Notify’ section.
- If you don’t have any other websites you would like it to monitor, click the ‘Close’ button.
- To logout, click the red ‘on/off’ icon at the top of the page.
Congratulations! You are now monitoring your website and will be notified when it goes down.
If you decide that this is something you would rather delegate, click here to see and sign up for my Website Monitoring and Maintenance Plans.